Coptic Cairo tour
Private 6-Hour Tour
- Discover the Coptic Christian sites of Cairo.
- Visit the oldest Christian church in Egypt.
- Tour Abu Serga, where the Holy family sought refuge after fleeing Israel.
- Explore the oldest synagogue in Egypt.
- Learn about Coptic life at the Coptic Museum.
- Enjoy personalized attention from an expert Egyptologist guide.
Coptic Cairo tour Overview:
Discover the ancient sites and culture of Coptic Christians on a private tour through Old Cairo. Visit the Hanging Church and Abu Serga, where the Holy family sort refuge, before exploring Ben Ezra, one of the oldest synagogues in Coptic Cairo tour.
Learn about Christian life in Egypt on this 6-hour private tour with an expert Egyptologist. You will see many of Cairo’s major attractions associated with Christianity and get time to soak up the atmosphere of this ancient and modern city in 1 day.
You will visit the Hanging Church, built into the walls of the water gate of the Roman Fortress. Dedicated to the Virgin Mary, it is one of Cairo’s most beautiful churches and arguably the oldest Christian church in Egypt.
Continue to the Monastery and Church of St. George, dating from 1909 and one of the few remaining circular churches in the Middle East.
Your next stop is Abu Serga, where the Holy Family rested after fleeing Israel from King Herod. Explore the 24 marble columns that line the central court, and see a series of 12th-Century icons depicting the 12 apostles.
At Ben Ezra Synagogue, one of the oldest in Egypt, you will get time to enjoy the shade in the garden. Built on the site of a 4th-Century Christian church, the synagogue was severely damaged after the 1967 war with Israel, but it has been almost completely renovated.
At the end of the tour you will visit the fascinating Coptic Museum, located in an area of great historic significance within the precinct of the Babylon Fort. Occupying an area of more than 86,000 square feet (8,000 square meters) the museum contains almost 16,000 objects of importance to the Copts of Egypt.
As this is a private tour you can determine the amount of time you spend at each site, and if there is enough time left over, you will be invited to visit a Papyrus Institute to see how the famous artwork is made, and to purchase some unique souvenir gifts.
• Qualified Egyptologist guide
• Transport by air-conditioned minivan
• Hotel pick-up and drop-off
What’s Not Included:
• Gratuities (recommended)
• Food and drinks, unless specified
Good to Know:
• Confirmation will be sent at time of booking
• Transport is wheelchair accessible, however be prepared for uneven surfaces at the sites visited, which may be difficult for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
• Infant rates apply provided they do not occupy a seat.